Tilt Hammer Water Wheels Tilt Hammer
Home Page
Timeworks Project
Abbeydale Hamlet
Hamlet CD ROM
Forging Links
Web Links
Timeworks Project
Picture Gallery
Crucible Steel
Water Wheels
Founders
Reviews
Water Wheel

7 Hutcliffe Wheel

River Sheaf

Map of Abbeydale

The River Sheaf in Abbeydale

This site was used for corn milling in 1670. By 1748, it was used for scythe grinding. The site was taken over for the building of Beauchief station on the Midland Railway line in 1863.
This wheel became the site of Beauchief station, on the main Midland railway line. The entrance to the station was from Abbey Lane.

No traces of the weir or wheel buildings can be seen as they lay under the station. An arched overflow from the old mill pond can still be seen in the walled bank of the river at the southern end of Millhouses Park.

The station has closed down and the site has been used as a local authority storage depot. The site is now a new housing development.

Previous : 6 Bartin Wheel
Next : 8 Abbeydale Hamlet
Return to Sheaf Mills List
© Tilthammer.com
Page last updated on 20th April 2003