|There was a corn mill here in about 1180. Metal working (forging and scythe and sickle grinding) was carried out here from 1617 until 1891.
Nothing remains of the original works or dams. The upper dam has houses built on it along Ulverston Road and Woodseats Road.
The weir is still in good condition and can be seen from the Archer Road bridge.
There are two rows of cottages in Norton Hammer Lane. These cottages appear on an 1863 map of the works.