|The site was in use by 1585 as a lead smelting mill. Lead smelting had ceased by 1805. By 1830, a grinding wheel was working on the site making saws.
Scythes were being ground here in 1872. The wheel had closed down by 1895.
A house, which backs on to the Old Hay Brook, has replaced the wheel buildings. The dam has been filled in and grassed over.
The weir is still visible and the position of the shuttle at the head-goit is clear.
Parts of the stonework which held up the pentrough remain, as does the overflow which led back to the brook.
Pieces of lead slag can be found in the stream.