|It is possible that the site was used for lead smelting from 1615. Part of the mill was being used for cutlery making in 1750. In 1841, it was described as a Scythe Factory although it may have still been used for lead smelting or rolling.
The position which the works used to occupy can be seen from the footpath between Milldale Road and Old Hay Brook. The only building surviving from the works is Mill Cottage.
The dam which was drained to form a level field, is in Totley Brook valley. This dam was fed by a head-goit, parts of which survive near Mickley Lane.