|There was a water wheel here in 1586. It was being used for corn milling in 1655. From 1726, it was used for metal working first for cutlery then for saw grinding. It continued to be used until 1935.
The upper dam lies to the west of the old Ecclesall Road. The grinding hull is used as a store, by the Recreation Department.
The wheel pit is at the north end of the building. Parts of the original penstock can be seen, where they have collapsed into the wheel pit.