|In 1496 AD, Beauchief Abbey leased the site to Roger Eyre. He used it as a bloom hearth or smithy.
By 1570 AD, William Humfrey was smelting lead on the site. One of the fields (now under the dam) was known as Sinder field or Sinder Hills - probably because of the lead slag or cinders it contained.
In 1581 AD, there was a smelting house containing two furnaces and two pairs of bellows.
By 1613 AD, Charles North was probably the owner of the site and possibly the Lord of the Manor for this area.